In some languages, 'Praga is used as a name for Prague, the capital of the Czech Republic. For the manufactuing company, see Praga Hostiva?.
and Praga Po?udnie]], 1791.]]Praga' is a historical borough of Warsaw, the capital of Poland. It is located on the east bank of the river Vistula. First mentioned in 1432, until 1791 it formed a separate town with its own city charter.
The historical Praga was a small settlement located at the eastern bank of the Vistula river, directly opposite the towns of Old Warsaw and Mariensztat, both being parts of Warsaw now. First mentioned in 1432, it derived its name from a Polish verb pra?y?, meaning to burn or to roast, as it occupied a forested area that was burnt out to make place for the village. Separated from Warsaw by a wide river, it developed independently from the nearby city. Because of that, on February 10, 1648 king W?adys?aw IV of Poland granted Praga with a city charter. However, as it was mostly a suburb and most building